Dear User, this document describes the types, purposes and persistence times of the cookies used and operating on this Portal, and it allows preferred cookie uses to be selected.
1. Definition, characteristics and regulatory application
Cookies are small text files that are sent to a website user’s computer or mobile device to be then sent back to the same websites upon the next visit. They enable the website to remember user actions and preferences (such as login, language, font size and other display preferences), to stop the user having to keep re-entering them whenever they come back to the site or browse through pages. Cookies, therefore, are used to perform computer authentication, session monitoring and storage of information regarding the activities of users who access a website; they may also contain a unique identification code to keep track of the user’s navigation within a site for statistical or advertising purposes.
Depending on their characteristics and functions, cookies can be stored on a user’s computer for different periods of time: there are session cookies, which are automatically deleted when the browser is closed, and persistent cookies, which are stored on the user’s device until a given deadline or until manual deleting.
2. Types of cooky and list of cookies
For the sake of completeness, the different types of existing cookies are shown below:
- Technical navigation or session cookies: strictly necessary for site operation or to allow website content and the requested services to be used;
- Analytical cookies: they are used to better understand how the site is used. These cookies do not collect information about user identity or any personal data. The information is treated in an aggregate and anonymous form;
- Functionality cookies: they are used to activate specific website functions and a number of selected features (for example, language) in order to improve the service provided;
- Profiling cookies: used in order to send advertising messages in line with the preferences expressed by users while surfing the net;
- Third-party cookies: i.e. cookies from sites or websites other than this site, used for the third parties’ own purposes, including profiling cookies. It should be noted that such third parties, listed below with the corresponding links to privacy policies, are typically independent controllers of data collected through the cookies placed by them, or Data Processors acting on behalf of the Data Controllers.
In detail, the cookies sent through this Portal are indicated below
3. Cookie settings
Selecting and de-selecting: With the exception of cookies strictly necessary for the operation of the Portal or to allow usage of the content and services requested, the cookies used on this site can be de-selected via the banner displayed in the Portal opening screen, reachable via the following link.
The choices made with reference to Portal cookies will in turn be recorded in a specific cookie. This cookie may, however, not work well in some circumstances: in such cases, we recommend deleting unwanted cookies and prevent their use also through the provided features in your browsers.
Cookie management via browser: it is also possible to remove existing cookies and block the installation of new cookies through browser settings. Should users wish to decide each time whether or not to accept cookies, they can also configure their browser to generate a warning every time a cookie is saved.
The most popular browsers include an option to block third-party cookies only, accepting the website own cookies only.
Finally, please be reminded that disabling or deleting technical and/or functional cookies might make the Portal no longer available for consultation or use of some services or functions or not properly functioning, so that it might be necessary to change or manually enter some information or preferences at each visit.
4. Data Controller contact information